Interesting post about prologues and epilogues via Jeans Writing
How do you know when a story needs one or both?
My current work in progress (WIP) has a short introduction (prologue.) So, I thought doing a little research on the subject might be in order. After all, I do want the reader to read past the first couple of pages. Right?
Here’s what I learned about the two.
- A writer can use both to bookend a novel or use just one.
- A prologue is where you can introduce something important to the story.
- An epilogue is the cherry on top. The ending after the ending.
What I learned about a prologue.
A prologue should include one or all the three elements.
- Setting/fictional world and how the character came to be there.
- Set the stage with a frame of reference for the reader.
- An event key to the story and a character’s response.
- Describe with action and suspense, not just adjectives.
View original post 260 more words