8 Steps To Side Characters is part of Sacha Black’s many writing craft books – other titles include: 13 steps to Evil, 10 steps to Hero, and the Anatomy Of Prose.
Thank you so much for an ARC copy of 8 steps to side characters which I freely give my review and opinion of.
Sacha Black’s writing style is engaging, humourous, clear and informative. I definitely learnt a lot about writing side characters and also discovered how important these pesky folk are!
I had some laugh out loud moments. Here’s an example:
“If you don’t layer your conflict, and you only have world ending levels of conflict at every opportunity, it’s like electrocuting your readers over and over again.”
Yes, this had me in chortles.
Also, there are many light bulb moments too.
“It’s a misnomer that to create big universal feelings you have to describe giant emotions. It’s actually the small, unique and intangible things about our loved ones that create that effect.”
“One thing all readers share in common is a heartfelt solidarity for a character going through shit times.”
“Just because you craft characters to be one way for the majority of the time, say, kind and tolerant, doesn’t mean they have to be that way or feel that way for the entire story.”
I read this on my kindle and highlighted lots of passages to refer to later.
At the end of each step she summarises all the important ideas that she has mentioned. There are also Questions to consider. Plus she makes it all really clear with real examples from film, and books (with spoiler warnings for well known books.)
Recommendation: Read this! Highly recommended – a must read and one to refer back to. 5 stars.
INSTAGRAM / YOUTUBE TIPS SERIES
She’s been sharing a tip a day from the book in a IGTV / Youtube video series. If you’d like to watch the tips or share the series, you can by visiting her on instagram or YouTube:
Join Sacha on launch day, 29th July, in her Facebook group for a live Q&A session. If you have any questions about writing, publishing, marketing, her books, unicorns or anything in between, hit her up on firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know, or drop it in the Facebook group/event page here:
Your Side Characters and You LIVES
As part of the launch week, Sacha will be interviewing nine authors all about their side characters, their favorite side characters from books and films as well as their tips for creating better characters. And She’ll be doing that all LIVE on instagram every night at 8pm from the 30th July to the 8th August.
- Friday 30th July – Mark Lefebvre from Stark Reflections on Writing and Publishing Podcast
- Saturday 31st July Jeff Adams from Big Gay Fiction podcast
- Sunday 1st August Katlyn Duncan YouTuber and author
- Monday 2nd August Daniel Willcocks, my Next Level Authors cohost, book coach and horror authors
- Tuesday 3rd August Crys Cain, host of Write Away, cohost of TASM and author
- Wednesday 4th August Kristina Stanley, CEO of Fictionary.co
- Thursday 5th Helen Scheuerer author of fantasy
- Friday 6th Miranda Bridges romance author
- Saturday 7th Elaine Bateman urban fantasy author and staff writer at Indie Author Magazine
- Sunday 8th August – if I haven’t collapsed, will be a solo show from me!
- Amazon USA https://www.amazon.com/Steps-Side-Characters-Supporting-Intention-ebook/dp/B096BBMV83/
- Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steps-Side-Characters-Supporting-Intention-ebook/dp/B096BBMV83/
- Goodreads Textbook https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58401583-8-steps-to-side-characters
- Goodreads Workbook https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58401605-8-steps-to-side-characters
- Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/8-steps-to-side-characters
- Apple: https://books.apple.com/gb/book/8-steps-to-side-characters/id1570280315
- Barnes and Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/8-steps-to-side-characters-sacha-black/1139789194?ean=9781913236120
- GooglePlay: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Sacha_Black_8_Steps_to_Side_Characters?id=7wcxEAAAQBAJ
Universal purchase link textbook: books2read.com/sidecharacters
Universal purchase link workbook: books2read.com/sideworkbook
Impressive! Or what…